Myth #1: Magic Mushrooms cause bleeding in the brain
A bleeding brain would be diagnosed as a stroke, hemorrhage, or aneurysm. There is no evidence of a brain bleed ever after consuming magic mushrooms.
Myth #2: Magic Mushrooms cause kidney failure
Simply not true, some people experience nausea after consuming magic mushrooms but kidney failure has never been recorded from consumption of magic mushrooms. The psychedelic mushroom species Psilocybe semilanceata does not cause kidney issues, but mushrooms in the family Cortinarius are often mistaken for P. semilanceata, and are harmful to the kidneys. You can avoid these risks by not consuming wild mushrooms or products with unknown origins.
Myth #3: Magic Mushrooms make you go insane
Research has shown that psilocybin mushroom trips and psychotic episodes like those found in schizophrenia have some similarities, but in all cases trips are temporary. Even people who have been admitted to the emergency room after taking magic mushrooms return to their normal physical and mental state within hours. In fact, a recent study found reduced likelihood of psychological distress and suicidality among those who have experienced psychedelics such as magic mushrooms and LSD.
Myth #4: Magic Mushrooms are poisonous
This depends on the definition of “poisonous”. If you consider a chemical substance that induces intoxication, altering consciousness, and cause some physiological changes as poisonous, then sure, magic mushrooms are poisonous. If this were the case, then all drugs are poisonous, including alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and caffeine. A narrower definition of a poisonous substance, however, would not categorize psilocybin as such.
Mushroom poisoning from non-psychedelic mushrooms are possible and can cause serious physical illness and in rare cases death. Magic mushrooms are not toxic. To avoid danger, proper identification of mushroom species is critical. We do not recommend eating wild mushrooms without proper identification.